THE Ndola City Council (NCC) has urged the public to destroy face masks and gloves before disposal to prevent them from being picked and reused.
In a statement yesterday, NCC public relations manager Tilyenji Mwanza said the masks and the gloves should be shred to pieces before being thrown away.
“The Public health department is further encouraging users of gloves and face masks that they should be washed with water and soap for 20 seconds, and then be cut into small parts to prevent re-using them,” Mwanza stated.
Mwanza expressed sadness that some street garbage pickers were picking disposable masks, washing them and offering them for resale to unsuspecting residents.
“This is very dangerous and any such individuals involved in this vice will actually be prosecuted. The Local Authority is also advising residents against the purchase of disposable face masks from the streets,” Mwanza warned.
“Meanwhile, the Ndola City Council would also like to remind residents using reusable masks to ensure they wash them with soap every so often as well as press them with heat,” she said.
Mwanza said according the Public Health Department, those using reusable masks to have at least two or three.
Mwanza listed guidelines the following guidelines of using masks
• Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
• Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
• Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
• Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
• To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask).
• Remember masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
© Kalemba April 22, 2020